Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving in New York


So Wednesday morning, Andy and I loaded the kids in the car and headed north to New York for Thanksgiving.



Our road trip junk food of choice? Me with my PB M&M's and Andy with his sunflower seeds. Gotta have the seeds. I apologize if anyone is offended by Andy's finger there. He snuck it in while I was taking this picture......and that's not the pointer, if you know what I mean.



Wouldn't be a proper road trip without a giant bucket of Laffy Taffy. It provides both refreshment and entertainment. Wanna hear my favorite joke of the trip? How do you make an orange laugh? You tickle it's navel. Ha! Pretty good, right? At least it seemed so after 6 hours in the car.



This little squirt road trips like a champ! Never made a peep.



About 1/2 way there we stopped for gas in none other than Scranton, PA -Home of Dunder Mifflin!


Personally, I found the city to be rather claustrophobic and depressing. It was very industrial with lots of coal mining areas. And the houses were all old and packed so close together there was no grass or sidewalk.



It was so fun to see our great friends, the Austons, again. They were fantastic hosts and as usual, we ate like royalty while we were there.



But it's c-c-c-cooold in Syracuse!





This is the Scranton sign from The Office opening credits. It used to be on the Scranton Central Expressway but they removed it and put it up in the local mall's food court. We thought we'd stop and take a quick peek at it on our way home.


Our portable DVD player has been heavenly for all of our traveling but those headphones are funny. My kids can never hear anything and talk REALLY loud while they're wearing them. Andy and I were chuckling at one of their random conversations that went like this:

Lex: Isaac! Do you like cheese!?

Isaac: Huh!?

Lex: CHEESE! Do you like it? CHEESE!?

Isaac: Cheese!?

Lex: Yeah, cheese! Like this! (points to empty handisnack wrapper)

Isaac: Oh, Cheeeeeese! I like string!

Lex: Huh!?

Isaac: I like string cheese! STRING!

Lex: Oh

We got home Saturday night, 1/2 hour before the big game started...just in the nick of time to host a big group of loyal BYU fans who didn't leave disappointed. :)

4 comments:

Bloom Family said...

Fun to read the updates! I've got to get on that. Thanks for letting us come over to watch the game despite you guys JUST getting back from your trip!

Nate and Lori said...

Lucky that your little one road trips like a champ. Ours? Not so much. Lets just say that Im glad we are not going anywhere for Christmas. Maybe Isaac and Lexi will let us use their headphones next time.

Darice Auston said...

Come back! Please! I'm actually having to entertain my kids...isn't that Isaac and Lexi's job?

Summer said...

Wow, sure miss you guys. I'm glad to see how much fun you guys are having. You ALWAYS make me laugh. Looks like you're making the most your time out there. Good for you!