Friday, April 16, 2010

Ka-ching

In order to teach our kids to be responsible and budget money (inspired by Isaac spending all his tooth fairy/birthday money buying $.25 pencils at school. 61 pencils? Seriously?!) Andy and I decided that we would start giving our kids a small allowance.

1st we had the whole: Getting older = more responsibilities + more opportunities talk.

Then we decided they would each receive $2.50 (10 quarters) every two weeks. It divides nicely that way. 1 quarter in tithing, 1 in savings and the rest in either spending or savings.

The empty Mistic bottles we were using, were pretty ghetto so I put together these little coordinating banks. The safe is for savings. We promised to match whatever amount they've saved by the time they are 18, but the catch is they can't get into it until then.
Andy's parents were incredible and did the same thing for him. In fact, he'd saved so much by the time he left on his mission, he was able to buy my wedding ring in cash! It's cute to think of little Isaac's quarters possibly being used to buy a ring one day. Ü

Here's another project I've been working on:




See that purple dinosaur picture on the end there?
Isaac's selling it for 1,000 dollars. Any takers?



Now THIS guy, I picked up on clearance a few years ago.
(Lori and Lis, I'm sure you remember Ü)

Isn't he a beaut?!

Unfortunately, I had other plans for that frame so poor Mr. Presley got the boot.

*Aww...there we are, looking awkward & uncomfortable, at the airport as Drew leaves on his mish
*And there? Backpacking through Europe (4 months preggo!)
*There we are at the beach in Lincoln City, OR
*And the top left was eating at Wagamama's in London back in '02

good times, good times
{all 10+ years of them!}

Not to diss The King or anything, but I didn't really want those beady little eyeballs watching over me whilst I slumber every night, you know?

8 comments:

Nate and Lori said...

What ever happened to our supposed weekly crafting night? Too bad that never took off. I like what you ended up doing with your frame though.

Can Nate come over and do jobs at your house for $5.00 a month? I'm so ready to have that boy employed.

Jessica D. said...

Cute projects! I love the clothespin board idea (I might steal it:)), since I am tired of putting all of Connor's drawings on the fridge. Cute collage too! Funny that you mention Wagamama's in London because I ate there in 2003!! I vividly remember it to this day because it was so delicious and I thought it was awesome that the waiters took your order using palm pilots!

adrienne and ryan said...

And here I thought you were a real Elvis fan! I my sister would probably try to dig that picture out of your garbage--she's a big fan.

Tiffany said...

Love the allowance and safe idea. And all the pictures are adorable. Wish I had your creativity.

TheShippenFamily said...

Such cute ideas! Where did you get the little safes at? I want to copy you. I love the idea of matching whatever they save.

Sheryl said...

I love the frame--such cute pics of you two. Aw I love pictures; you can never have enough.

Lis said...

Yup, my frame is STILL calling out forlornly, begging me to do something with it! I love how yours turned out!! And I too, love the shout out to Wagamamas!! Miss that place! :) You are so full of great ideas! Love it!

The Gibby's said...

You are so creative Beck! I LOVE the money idea. I just may have to copy that! (I love how I often say I am going to copy you but never get around to it cause I don't know how)

Tell Isaac I don't have $1,000, but I would buy it for $10. ;o) It's all the art budget I got.