Sunday, August 22, 2010

Monticello

On Thursday we drove 3 hours, to Virginia, to see Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home.

{It was SO worth it}

Did you know he designed the place himself? I had no idea he was such an incredible person and that he was involved in so many things.

Before the house tour, the kids received the please be good listeners (or you will be very, very sorry) lecture. You can see how intently they are listening already. Ü

After the tour they had a cool kids section where you could play with toys from Jefferson's time.


Isaac was really excited about the checker board. He and my brother, Brett, played a lot this summer while we were in Utah.


I've never seen Lexi so involved in her writing.
Hey-maybe that's the trick!
I'll just take back all those pencils I just bought her for school and send her with a feather instead.


Here's the back of the house

*and the back of London's head*

Check it out! She's starting to sprout a little hair back there!

And here is Jefferson's resting place (I've avoided the word, grave, since my dad died -it just sounds too gloomy and infinite)


For any nature nerds out there (Papa?) we found this crazy little blue tailed lizard. I'm sure Andys already looked it up and learned all about the thing. Me? I'm just fine saying "Cool!", taking a picture, and going on my merry way.


We also saw this thing, whatever it is. Again, I'm sure Andy knows by now. We couldn't figure out if it was a miniature hummingbird or an insect.


On the way home we hit Manassas, the 1st Battle of Bull Run. Very cool. My kids are just starting to be interested in the history of places like this. They'll listen to the stories and read the informative signs before running off to climb on the canons or play in the grass. I'm hoping eventually they will understand the sacrifices that so many have made for us to have our freedom.


I'm sorry but I think this picture is absolutely RIDICULOUS! So I tell Andy and the kids to go squat down in front of this statue of Stonewall Jackson (so they wouldn't cover the writing on it) and Andy walks up and does this weird wall-sit up thing against the base. What the?!

{And he's still covering the writing Ü}


aaaaaand here's what London thought of the days activities.....

3 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

We wanted to go to Monticello, but just never got around to it. It looks like a really neat place.

Dr. J said...

A five-lined skink and a hummingbird moth on the animal identification. In case anybody was wondering.

Lis said...

I love how the checkerboard is closest to Andy... you know, because Isaac's arms are longer! :)
fun trip, guys!