Monday, August 30, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like...

SCHOOL TIME!


'Twas the night before school starts and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, nor smell of dead mouse;
(see footnote #1)

The backpacks were hung by the front door with care,
With ol' Doggie and Rhino still hanging there;

The children were nestled all snug in there beds,
While visions of school crushes danced in their heads;

With Mama exhausted and looking like crap,
She thought "Hey, tomorrow I may get a nap!

The house will be quiet and free from all clatter",
But then came the tears, and Drew asks "What's the matter?";

"My babies, they've grown up. Time's gone in a flash,
I love them. I'll miss them, though sometimes we clash;

Have I taught them enough, do they know where to go?
I've done all I can to prepare them, you know."

New school clothes are picked out, placed neat in a pile,
His hair trimmed, though still long, in true Beiber style.
(Justin Beiber, that is)

She's showered and dressed, hair pulled back in a bow,
"Go brush your teeth now and please don't say no".

They've both had a blessing from priesthood by dad,
The lunches are made and the breakfast's been had.

We scoot out the door now, we must hurry quick,
If you're gonna be late it's a bad day to pick!

We walk up the street to the front of the school,
They stand tall and act brave and try to look cool.

Those over-sized backpacks hang way past their rear,
I wonder how much they will grow in this year?

I give them a squeeze and as they walk away,
I shout, "Bye now! Be good!" *kiss* and "Have a nice day!!"


Footnote #1 We had this awful smell seeping from our laundry room last week and we couldn't figure out what it was. I wondered if there was some wet, moldy something or other lying around but I could never pinpoint where it was coming from. Well, Andy found it on Saturday. It was a poor little mouse that was killed in a trap that our landlords had put out 3+ years ago. Poor little thing. It was really cute and I feel awful (but not awful enough that I want it to be a resident in my home, I guess). Looks like we'll be heading to the store this week to buy some live traps that don't kill the poor little things.



So last night I let the kids party a little on their last night of freedom

We had ice cream sundaes in the living room while we watched AFV

(America's Funniest Home Videos for those of you who aren't cool enough for the show Ü)

All packed up and ready to go!

Notice the long bangs-Isaac wants to grow them out to his eyeballs.


Here is Lexi's solution to me telling her we can't take Doggie with us on our walk to school.

"Now the leash isn't too short AND he won't get dirty!"

JOY!

1 comment:

Nate and Lori said...

You've got a serious talent for writing poetry. I could never come up with something so clever.

I'd love to come over for a little concert from Justin...I mean Isaac. Like, Baby Baby Baby Ooh Like Baby Baby...