Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Know You By Heart Concert

So this is the concert I've been talking about. It's the reason I went out to Utah (even though we couldn't afford it!). The idea started when none of my siblings felt like they would be able to sing at my dad's funeral. It was just going to be too hard. So we decided to put together this little concert for his birthday as a way to celebrate his life and love of music.

Disclaimer: These pictures were actually taken during the sound check so some of us aren't quite as spruced up as we'd like to be!

We started the show with a song called, Run For the Roses. The 3 of us (Rex, me & Haley) used to sing it a lot when we were kids {with my dad on the piano} so it only seemed fitting.

I gotta say, I was really, reeeeally intimidated singing with these 2 again. They are both professional singers now so my little voice seemed weak in comparison. But I tried my hardest to ignore that and just enjoy it.


O.K. so I thought this was amazing. I have 4 brothers and they are all extremely talented. They all sing and 3 of them play guitar. So about a week before the concert, Cody picked up the drums and Rex picked up the base (and by "picked up" I mean they'd never played before!) and they formed this band. They call themselves, The Asian Pedestrians --or at least that's what Cody calls them. Ü

They played You're All I Have by Snow Patrol and it was seriously awesome. The best part was listening to them jam at my mom's. It was LOUD and her whole house was rockin'. Literally.


Brett did a great job as the lead vocalist, as well as Kyle and Matt (brother-in-law) on the e-guitars.


Cody


Kyle

I played Faithfully, by Journey. It was my parents song.

I pretty much had 2 goals when I went into this thing:
#1-Get through it without crying.
#2-Don't butcher it so much that it will forever ruin the song for my mom (not sure if I succeeded in that one yet -I'll have to ask her).


Kyle and Kates sang one of my favorite songs called Falling Slowly. It's actually on my new playlist at the bottom of my blog. Have you noticed?!
(Katie and Kyle sing it better Ü)


Hales and Matt. Old veterans to the whole concert thing. They sang Let it Be Me. My parents sang it on their wedding day so it was very touching.


Katie and Kenzie. Their voices harmonize so beautifully together. They sang Play Crack the Sky.


And then there's Rex and his gorgeous wife Kate. They sang Fields of Gold (accompanied by Kenz because she's so incredible). It seems to be a favorite among our family, including my dad. Wouldn't it be incredible to make music with your spouse like that? I'm afraid it'll have to be in another life for Andy & I.

These aren't all the numbers obviously, but I just wanted to highlight a few and get everybody in there. The one thing that would have made the night better is if Andy and Isaac and Lexi could've been there with us. Maybe next time??

3 comments:

Lis said...

Any video footage??? I'd love to hear your 'Faithfully'! And the rest of the concert too! :)

Nate and Lori said...

In spite of the difficult situation, how fun it must have been to all be together and singing again. I would have liked it more had you coordinated your big poofy dresses and hair and danced with an umbrella like you did in that video from when you guys were really young.

Bloom Family said...

I hadn't realized why you were going out there. That is so neat. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad, and a great memory for you all to share. (I am so impressed too that everyone seems to have such great musical abilities!)