Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Update

Well, I have been ordered by the Queen Rebecca to post London's update on the blog for those interested. And we all know you don't mess with the queen, so here goes.

Lets start from the beginning. So it is definitely sniffles season so when London had a fever Saturday we didn't think too much of it, especially when it went away pretty quickly. But then yesterday (Tuesday) while I was at soccer practice with the kiddos I received an urgent phone call to come home cuz London had a high fever again, which led to...
















This is London getting an ultrasound on her kidneys. And yes, the look on her face is much more cheerful than the look on Becky's. When we first got in they assumed it was just a cold/flu but ran a urine and blood test anyway. Turns out she has a urinary tract infection so they gave her some antibiotics (by injection, which I'm pretty sure she handled better than Becky) and had to draw a bunch of blood (which London also handled better than Becky) to see if the infection spread to the blood. They also had to do a kidney ultrasound to check out the whole urinary tract (thus, the above picture). Unfortunately, the ultrasound showed some hydronephrosis (water on the kidney) due to either reverse flow of the urine back into the kidney or a blockage in the ureter, which connects the kidney to the bladder. The good news is the antibiotics they're giving her seem to be taking care of her temperature problems and resolving the infection. After blood tests come back negative tomorrow (fingers crossed) they should be able to send her home with just some oral antibiotics. At that time she'll have to wait a week for the infection to be entirely wiped out and then go back for some more imaging (read catheterize and inject dye into her urinary tract) to pinpoint the problem. Fingers crossed again its just mild blockage of the ureter that will resolve itself with age. Thanks everyone for your support, concern and help. This would have been much more difficult without those who have helped by watching the kids, picking them up from school, taking care of my patients for me, etc., and all those who have offered. Even though we're far from our families we're not lacking anything in the support dept. and I can't tell you how much we all appreciate that. In fact, my kids were upset when I came home from the hospital today to pick them up and in the process ruined their sleepover. Good to know I'm loved. And now, on a more positive note:



Becky calls this London's "Bitter Beer Face." Does anybody remember those commercials? Anyway, she currently pulls in her lower lip a lot and it makes Becky laugh, and she wanted me to share it with all.

Namaste

6 comments:

Becky said...

Awww, my baby looks so cute in her little astronaut Koala bear hospital gown.
Andy just brought me my laptop but I'm glad he posted this update because he did a much better job than I would've. I can never remember what the doctors tell me or any of the technical terms. Hopefully we'll be able to come home tonight.

Lis said...

I love it that you commented, Becky! And I love it that Andy used the word nephrosis! Way to go guys, on handling a "not so ideal" situation like a bunch of superstars! Glad London is on top of things! And yes... I do remember those commercials! :)

just jen said...

i hope she is better soon!

there is nothing more sad than a baby in the hospital, and the poor mommy who has to watch it!

take care!

Bloom Family said...

I hope all is going well and that you guys got to come home yesterday evening. For being a sick baby in the hospital, London looked quite happy in those pics. :) Let us know if there's anything you guys need!

Darice Auston said...

Wish we were there to help, but it sounds like you guys had it covered and then some.
"
PS--Andy, do real men really say "Namaste?" (Tony from P90X doesn't count)

Nate and Lori said...

It took me the longest time to figure out who Queen Rebecca is...call me blond.

Glad to hear that London is home and better.