{The flowers on top are actually hair clips}
Really? I mean, REALLY?!!
Also, our DVD player died an hour and a 1/2 into our 5 hour flight and London's diaper strategically leaked in just the right place to make it appear as though I was the one who'd had an accident. Lovely. Can't say that I'm super excited about about our flight home...
I went straight from the airport to the hospital to see my dad. I totally broke down sobbing when I saw him because he looked so sick and weak. My dad, who has always been my hero, so strong and unbreakable, was laying in that hospital bed, gasping for every breath and it scared me to death. He was exhausted, but he was able to open his eyes and he recognized me.
He said, "Becca, (he's the only one who calls me that) it's so good to see you. How's London?" (she was in the ER a week before). He then told me he loved me and that he was proud of me and then he went back to sleep. I am SO thankful that my mom had the impression to encourage me to get home quicker because that was the last conversation I had with my dad.
We all ran down the hallway and stood, pleading silent prayers and holding each other tightly, for the long 20 minutes or so, the hospital staff applied CPR. I couldn't stand to watch the defibrillator repeatedly shocking his body but I could peek in and see the doctor's reflection in the mirror as he worked over my dad, forcefully throwing his weight into every chest compression. I just kept thinking, this can't be happening! This can't be happening!
I will never forget the agonizing little scream that escaped from my mother's mouth when the doctor came out to tell us he didn't see how my dad was going to make it.
Words cannot describe the pain that fills my heart for the loss of my wonderful father. It physically hurts sometimes, the suffering is so great. The Lord was not unaware of our prayers though and he blessed us time and time again. I feel peace in knowing that my dad died before getting this surgery instead of during. It was risky and very intensive and I know he was dreading it, having had 2 open heart surgeries in the past.
Suffering a stroke during surgery was another major concern so I'm thankful that he didn't survive the surgery only to have major complications after. He was such a busy man and a hard worker, that would've been absolutely devastating for him.
Also, I truly believe my dad waited until all of my siblings were gathered around my mom before he passed on. I can't imagine how it would be if she had had to experience that alone. He coded not more than 5 minutes after we were all together in the waiting room.
Things have been absolutely crazy around here and there has been so much to get done that the reality of it all still hasn't sunk in yet. I'm sure there are plenty more dark hours to come, especially for mom. Oh how my heart aches for her. I lost my father but she lost the love of her life. Her companion and best friend. I only wish there was something I could do to ease her pain. I don't know how long I will stay here or even how we are getting home. We're just taking it day by day for now.



10 comments:
Oh Becky. My heart aches for you. As I read your post, I began crying. How special to be there in time to see your dad and to be together with your siblings. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this very difficult time.
On a lighter note, London's cake was adorable! You are so talented!
I'm bawling after reading that. I am so sad for you. I can not even begin to imagine what the range of emotions that you have felt in the past few weeks. I'm glad that you were able to be out there and that there have been a few peaceful moments.
I can't not comment on all of the cuteness about London turning one. I love that she threw her frosting at the wall and hated the cake. You are so amazing at making cakes and I can't believe how well you replicated her little stuffed animal. And the banner and favors are too cute.
I hope that you're doing okay. I'm glad that you are surrounded by your family. Hang in there and know that you are constantly in my thoughts.
Becky I can't imagine how hard it was for you to write this post. I am so sorry. The spirit was so strong at your Dad's funeral. I am so grateful that we know that you will all be with him again someday. He was an amazing man who will truly be missed by so many. I am so happy that you were able to be here for this extremely difficult time. And that Andy was able to make it out. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. And I am so grateful for your friendship.
On a side note, you amaze me with all of your crafting abilities! Overachiever anyone?? That cake was so cute. I bet London really loved it, Andy probably just sneezed while you were taking these pictures so she was just scared. ;D What a good Mom you are!
Becky, I am so sorry. This post must have been hard to write, but you did a beautiful job. I am glad that you could all be together as a family.
London's cake pictures are the cutest and funniest I have ever seen. Liam hated his cake too. Why on Earth do so many kids react that way to CAKE?? I guess they dont know what they are missing.
Becky there are no words to ease the pain you must be feeling but many, many prayers will be said on you and your family's behalf! So many tender mercies to be grateful for - like getting to be there in time to say goodbye and being surrounded by all your family. The Lord is and will always be aware of you! God bless you and your family! Take care!
So sorry, Becky. I can't even imagine. I will keep you in my prayers.
*And I second your cake/party talent. So cute and creative.
I'm so sorry Becky. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I'm glad you were able to get there to see your Dad before he passed. I hope you guys are doing ok and feeling some peace about all of this. Thoughts, prayers, & hugs being sent your way. Hang in there.
I cannot even see through my tears to write anything, or think clear for that matter. I am so, so sorry! You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers.
Like it's been said, I'm so sorry for you and your family. What a sad thing to have to go through. Your post was beautiful and your dad must have been amazing. It is amazing that he hung in there long enough for you to all be gathered together. We'll keep you in our prayers.
So sorry for your loss, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Please let us know if we can do anything for you guys.
Post a Comment