Monday, June 21, 2010

Baltimore 10 Miler

...NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH 10K!!!!

I mean, come on! I want credit for those extra (almost) 4 miles!

In fact, when my friend, Melanie, approached me in church, way back in February, about training for this race I said, "ooo...I don't know. I'm not sure I can handle a 10K."

After all, I am soooo not a runner.

Well, after a little convincing from Melanie and a little encouragement from Drew (O.K. he pretty much had to kick my lazy buns out the door!) I reluctantly began my training.
Sortof.
Luckily, Melanie is a fine-tuned, cross country guru and she whipped me into shape by getting me out of bed at 5:30 AM and training 3 times a week. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed our early morning workout and I hope to continue running through the rest of the summer.

Here we are (Tiffany, me & Melanie) carb loading at the Olive Garden the night before the run. It also happened to be Tiffany's big 3-0 birthday so we celebrated by sharing a little dessert as well!

And here we are, PRE-RACE, looking a little less glamorous


And POST-RACE {looking a LOT less glamorous Ü}

For anyone who cares:
So I crossed the finish line with a clock time of 1:31, which averages out to be about a 9 minute mile. Not super incredible obviously, but a respectable time and one that I feel decent about. The first 2 miles or so were spent just trying to weave my way through the herd of 4,000 runners. I pushed too hard for the next three, which I attribute to lack of experience, so I thought I was going to die around mile 7 or 8. But I made it! It was really hard but like all things that are challenging, it was also really rewarding and I'm really glad I did it.

But just for the record---still not a runner.


6 comments:

Nate and Lori said...

So at what point do you become a runner? When you win a 5k for your age range? When you run a 10-miler? or when you run a marathon? You're nuts. I'm jealous that your race is done and that you did so well.

adventure knitter said...

way to go! i seriously couldn't have run a mile....

Sheryl said...

I think you all look glamorous even at the finish!! That is awesome; good job.

The Gibby's said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! Way to go Beck!!! I am so proud of you and wish that I could have been there to scream, cheer, and sob for you at the finish line (I wouldn't care what I looked like). You are in incredible, well rounded, multi-talented, creative person. I want to me more like you, Beck! Way to go. So proud.

Melanie said...

Excellent job, Becky! Thanks SO much for training with me . . . seriously, I can't thank you enough. And, I'm already missing our morning runs - wanna start again next week?

Tiffany said...

Way to go! That's amazing.