But holy cow, it was insane! There were all these teams with fancy, matching backpacks lined up, wearing (home and away) jerseys with their names printed on the back and coaches that looked like they came straight from a European soccer magazine.
But that wasn't even the most intimidating part! The worst was the intensity of the thing. These coaches were getting flagged for not staying off the field and they were screaming at their players like their lives were on the line. Red faces, veins bulging, "What are you afraid of?!!! It's just a chest block!!!!" Then they would angrily rip their players out of the game if they weren't being aggressive enough. Keep in mind, these boys are 7 years old. SEVEN!
And then there were all the fathers. All up in their kid's face, berating their son for not playing well enough. I heard one boy say to his dad "But it's just a game!" to which his dad responded, "It is not just a game! You think I woke up at 6 AM and came all the way out here to watch you LOSE?! You are being lazy and...". I thought a lot of it bordered verbal abuse and it made me sick.
Isaac's team was a lot better, thank goodness, but his new coach was still a lot more intense and vocal then what we were used to. They played really well though. They won 3 games, and tied 1 so they made it to the semi finals! They lost their 5th game which ended their progression in the tournament --but it was sure nice that we were finally able to go home!



Doing some warm up drills --I didn't get any pictures of the actual game because I was too busy cheering and chasing around a certain one year old who was insistent on sneaking onto the field. But it was a good learning experience for all of us (how not to behave, among others) and Isaac had a blast.
A little pre game stretching
We watched the new Karate Kid last weekend and Isaac pulled his groin trying to do the splits Ü
Another Karate move. Trying to kick as high as his buddy, Haamza's, head



4 comments:
Those other teams sound a little like the "kenyan junior national team" that Meg's little soccer team played. They had matching uniforms (we're the misfit team...) and actual cleats (these are kindergarteners and first graders!). And when the girls on our team were off crying, did their coach pull anyone out of the game? Nope, they just continued plowing over us... it's just a game people.
Oh my...I cant believe some of those parents are like that. Actually I can because these are the same parents that will scream at their kids in the dental office for misbehaving. I guess I shouldnt speak yet because who knows what kind of a team dad Nate will be.
Good job Isaac on making the All State team!
Way to go Isaac!! It looks like he had a blast :)
Yay Isaac! How exciting to make that team! Isn't crazy to get into the competitive sports teams? Seriously, the parents generally need to learn some lessons from their kids.
Post a Comment