Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Our original plan for Memorial Day weekend was to go camping Friday night but somehow it got rained out, even without any rain Ü. You should have seen the devastation on my kids faces when I had to stop them in the middle of their "we're gonna go camping!" dance to tell them that our trip was canceled. I should've made Andy tell 'em.
So we tried to do some fun camping-ish things to soften the blow, like make a fort to sleep in downstairs.

This is what I woke up to in the morning.


On Saturday we decided to go on a hike. Hiking is a camping activity so we must do it! We actually really enjoy hiking as a family. This was London's first time in the pack and I must say, she's definitely one of us.


I brought up the rear for most of the hike and I was really enjoying my view
{and I'm not talking about Andy's buns!}
I'm talking about those adorable dimpled elbows and soft, chubby legs swinging around



"Hey! What's going on up there?"





"Daniel-san, first learn stand, then learn fly"
~Mr. Miyagi 1984


Feeling parched


Somehow Isaac spotted this 4 leaf clover as we were hiking. We stopped so he could pick it and as I was pressing it between to raisin boxes to keep it from wilting (worked like a charm, btw), Lexi found one! She was all excited and while I was making room in my "make-do clover press" for hers, Isaac and Andy each found another one. We found 6 in all before I ordered that we get a move on. There's only so much surface area between 2 boxes of raisins and those were large clovers!


You can't have a faux campout without roasting a few mallows!


mmmm...s'mores.....


Poor London had to settle for a plain graham.
But look how eloquent and sophisticated-like she eats it.
Raised pinky and everything!


Sunday evening after a delicious dinner of grilled lemon pepper salmon and rice pilaf, we went down to the NCR trail for a little family walk/bike ride. The trail was lined with tons of honeysuckle so daddy showed us how to drink the nectar.


I'd never had it before and it was really sweet. The kids loved it, of course, and grabbed a few flowers
"to go"
.


After an early 5 mile run on Memorial Day morning, we went over to the Miller's with the other 4th years (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!) for a delicious omelet breakfast complete with fruit, muffins, donuts, bacon, sausage, OJ, you name it. Yummy. Their dog, Paisley, recently had 7 puppies and we had so much fun playing with them. They're the cutest little things! Good thing our landlords don't allow dogs or I might have brought one home with me.





Isaac was a little reluctant to hold them and I thought it was because he was scared or something. Turns out, he was just worried about getting pooped on Ü
(which was a legitimate concern, may I say, without being too graphic!).



It took London a bit to warm up to them but when she did she was so excited.

Until that mean ol' puppy tried to steal her cracker!
Friendship over.


After breakfast, I took London home for a nap while Andy, James and Nate took the kids to the park to hit a ball around for a bit. It was so toasty out there that when they came home, my kids looked like a couple of steaming lobsters!



Luckily, our pool opened this weekend so we were able to meet up with a couple of good family friends to cool off; followed by dinner and ice cream cones at the Parks place. It was a busy weekend but didn't feel hectic or stressful at all. One of my favorite Memorial weekends thus far!

6 comments:

Darice Auston said...

Yeah, it really looks like Andy was too busy to get away to come up here. It took me almost the weekend just to read about your weekend. Tell Andy we went fishing, camping, hiking, drank grape soda with kool aid ice cubes, and played video games and board games all at the same time. Bet you wish you came now, huh?

Those puppies are adorable. So are the dimpled elbows.

Sheryl said...

Sooo much fun! I am glad you made the camping work so not too much disappointment was had.

Lis said...

Who needs "real" camping when you can just pretend and have every bit as much fun! Sounds like fun!

Nate and Lori said...

Uhmmm are you sure that you can't just keep one of those puppies?

I had no idea that you guys still did all of those fun things. Lexi kept telling me over and over at the softball field about how she found 6 4 leaf clovers. She was still looking for them that day.

I love the cute pictures of London on the hike. What a cutie!

The Farrell Family said...

Now that sounds like a fun Memorial Day weekend! Even without the "real" camping trip. Super cute pics of your kiddos. :)

Bloom Family said...

Well,I'm glad the kiddos got to still do some fun camping stuff. I still can't believe it didn't rain in the end, but we'll definitely go again later this summer!