Monday, August 25, 2008

MIA no more

Alright, alright. I apologize but I have a perfectly reasonable excuse for being AWOL from emails, phone calls and yes, even blogging the past few weeks. Not only have I been sick but I have also been without the internet for almost 2 whole weeks! Gasp. So please, kindly refrain from sending anymore threatening hate mail. I'm on it. :)

Now that we have been back from Utah for a couple weeks I've had time to look back and reflect on the good things, as well as the bad, about good old Happy Valley.

Here's my WILL MISS list:
#1 This one's a given. Family and friends. We went through a serious period of cousin withdrawal for a while there
#2 Customer Service -MD is SERIOUSLY lacking in this area
#3 The outdoors -tick free vegetation, soft green grass, playgrounds, mountains
#4 My dad's hot sauce -perfection in a bottle
#5 The good ol' grid system -Hello people! How does a name like "Elm Street" help me find my way at all? Which way is north?
#6 The shopping. Oh how I miss the scrap book stores, the craft boutiques, the fabric stores, the LDS book stores, the shade kiosks in the mall and as much as I hate to admit it, Super Walmart is just so gosh darn convenient
#7 Chunga (and Mr.) in the morning on 101.9 FM.
#8 Deseret Industries. I've been shopping at DI for ages and have found some incredible deals over the years
#9 Cafe Rio
#10 Dollar Movies

And here's a few things I definitely will NOT miss:
#1 All that (insert profanity here) construction and ne'er a worker to be found. Geez, even the detours were torn up!
#2 My spring and fall allergies
#3 All the zoobies and EFY students taking their sweet time crossing the street. Do they realize that I could easily run them down with just a tap of my toe? Or maybe I could simply give them a little nudge on the backside with my bumper because obviously they don't realize that I'm there and waiting :)
#4 This one could actually go on either list. All the cheesy billboards plastered along I-15. You know, the ones with the giant head shot of some doctor, dentist, or banker blown up into frighteningly massive proportions?
#5 Dry skin and hair static

I'll end with my list of why I'm glad to be home:
#1 To play with friends that are like family to us
#2 To sleep in my own bed
#3 To teach my classes at the gym
#4 To get back into a schedule
#5 To be surrounded by all the beautiful trees just in time for fall
#6 Diversity
#7 Darice's cooking and my introduction to fine dining ie. rack of lamb, sushi (I still can't believe she got me to try it!), dino nuggets :)
#8 To travel and explore all the cool stuff on the east
#9 Fire flies
#10 To be that much closer to graduation!

5 comments:

Darice Auston said...

I would like to point out that I do make the best chicken nuggets! :-)

You forgot to mention mosquitoes...into what category do those fall?

Clark and Liesel said...

Welcome home! I totally agree that MD needs some help in the Cust Serv. Dept! Amen to that!

Anita said...

How did you LIVE without internet for 2 whole weeks. I think I'd have died without. I thought maybe you were so sad leaving your family and friends in Utah, that you just couldn't bring yourself to write anymore.
Sorry you were sick. That is never fun when you have kids and it is summer.
I like your top 10 list of things you miss.
But it is always good to get back home and into the routine of life and living.
Glad you are doing well.

Nate and Lori said...

You ate SUSHI??? I'm shocked. Was it covered in chocolate? We are glad to have you guys back.

Starley Family said...

Okay I am totally jealous you get to sample darice's fab spread. Anytime you want to forward any of her little gems I am all ears. Glad to hear you are back in the blogging world. I've missed ya.